About Denville Hardware
The Cohen family moved out to the ‘wilds” of Morris County NJ shortly before WWII, from running a “Candy Store” (“New Yorkese” for a small Luncheonette) in Brooklyn. The family, Lily and Sam Cohen, along with their three sons Irwin, Al and Freeman opened and operated a similar business on Broadway in Denville, which operated at all hours, serving the 24-hour shifts of defense workers streaming into the area from the Picattiny Arsenal, while the two older sons went off to serve in the military.
On return from serving in Europe, Al was searching for a career, and, with Lily’s support, they opened Denville Hardware in a small storefront on Broadway.
Quickly outgrowing the space, they built a new building in an empty lot at 21 Broadway, to house the expanded Hardware Store, while Lily and Sam lived above the store. In the 1950’s, Irwin and Freeman joined the business.
In 1965 they purchased the building on First Avenue, just off the corner of Broadway, which had been built the previous decade for successively a Supermarket, and a Furniture Store. Irwin’s daughter and son-in-law Sandie and Neil entered the business in 1977, retiring in 2007. Al’s daughter and son-in-law Judi and Howie purchased part of the business in 1987, and are the sole owners since 2007.
Expanding and renovating in 1995, that space is still home for Denville Hardware, as we approach our 3oth year serving Denville and all of Morris County.